Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

One of my favorite dinners is the Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas at a quaint little place here in Lehi, Utah called Carena's (is that even right?). It was in an old historic home on Main Street, run by what seemed to be the local Young Women's organization (don't even ask about what level of personnel ran the cash register). The decorations left much to be desired (unless you came from the 1990's and like country blue, mauve, and fake flower arrangements everywhere). However, the food - the food! It was amazing.

When the economy took a turn for the worst, it turned into a Thai restaurant. So sad for me. I tried replicating those delicious enchiladas, and I'm proud to say I actually perfected this one. I took a few recipes, mixed them up and came up with what I really like in an enchilada. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does. Oh, and don't even think about counting the calories in this one. You'll never make it again.

One more thing. It freezes really well. Another aspect of perfection. If I'm going to take the time to make something this time-consuming, I'm making a bunch. And I mean a bunch.

Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
Kristi Askew

8-10 chicken tenders
¼ c. butter
3 pkgs (8 oz) cream cheese, room temperature
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 cans (4 oz) green chiles
1 ½ c. sour cream, room temperature
4 c. shredded cheese (I use Colby Jack)
24 “soft taco” tortillas
Salt and pepper to taste
Milk to consistency (a lot, about 4-5 cups total, divided)

In the crock pot, add chicken and butter. Add some salt and pepper. Cook on high 3 hours. Shred chicken with a fork.

In a large mixing bowl, combine and mix with hand mixer until smooth:
2 pkgs cream cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream
Milk to consistency (about 2+ c.)

Then add and combine:
2 cans of green chiles
Shredded chicken
Salt and pepper to taste
More milk to consistency (if needed)
2 c. shredded cheese

Fill tortillas with mixture.
Fill pans.
8 enchiladas in each of the three 11x7 pans. (They freeze very well)

In same mixing bowl, combine until smooth and runny:
1 pkg of cream cheese
½ c. sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
Milk to consistency

Pour over enchiladas.
Top with remaining 2 c. cheese.

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment